Monday, February 25, 2013

Stripping the Canoe Part 1

 At Last! I was finally able to start stripping the canoe! Before I did, I applied another layer of masking tape to the mould stations, to ensure the glue does not stick to the plywood. Then the time came for me to put on my first strip, yet I realized that 1/2" staples with a stapler were not going to hold the strips in place, so I needed longer staples. After going to Lowes, I bought 5/8in. staples but for a pneumatic stapler. Then when working on the canoe the next day, the new staples worked out much better, but with the psi strength of the pnuematic, my dad had the idea to place a Q-tip in between the two edges of the staple, so when removed, had the edge of the staple showing which would help when the staples had to be removed. After ensuring that the first strip was level with the floor. (The floor was not level, I realized to my surprise) then the stripping process moved a constant pace and I was able to attach seven strips to the frame. The cove and bead on the strips were tremendously helpful, seeing that the glue was able to be nicely squeezed into the cove and the bead of the next fit snuggly into the cove. Any excess glue was either wiped off with either my hand or a damp cloth. The overhanging strips over the stems were cut a little more than flush with a coping saw and were then glued and stapled to the stem.




No comments:

Post a Comment