Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sanding the Interior

Sanding the interior of the canoe was not as time consuming as sanding the exterior. At least, it may have felt that way because I had the entire day to work because of Spring Break. Even though I had more hours to work, the process was more difficult because of the tumblehome or the curve of the canoe. Using an orbital sander, the sides of the sandpaper were quickly used up because more tension was being placed on them. The sanding was very tedious and tiring just like the exterior, and so I began to listen to another audiobook. Noticing many openings between the cedar strips, I decided against using wood filler, but used epoxy mixed with cedar sawdust. This was a good idea, except that it turned the color of the wood darker than I was expecting, but it does not look bad. It just darkens the naturally lighter cedar. I put to coats of this epoxy mixture on to ensure filled in cracks and a smoother interior. But like Ted Moore's states, you know what the end result of fiberglassing can look like, so you feel more compeled to take your time. The next step was to fiberglass the interior with 4 oz. cloth.



No comments:

Post a Comment