Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mistakes happen...

Today, as I cut out stations 0 - 2, I realized how large this canoe is at the middle. Working with the smaller stations for so long had me convinced that all stations were that size. I was wrong. Working with the bigger stations meant more room for error and thus even though I was able to circular saw, band saw, and sand them, I was a bit off with my measurements. At first, I was a little flustered, but then realized I don't live in a perfect world and that David Hazen in Stripper's Guide to Canoe Building was right when he said, "I have to remind myself not to mess around with the suffering, whipping myself for making mistakes. Perfect boats do not exist. The only question it makes sense to ask is, "What's next?" So, taking a step back from my mistake, I realized I could attach a small strip of wood to the bottom of Station 1 to make it even. and then when that is done, sand all the bottom's of the stations to ensure that they are even.

Pictured below, are all the stations but zero and one. Look's better in real life. The picture doesn't really capture the amount of work attached with them...

No comments:

Post a Comment