Thursday, February 7, 2013

Building the Stem Part 1


 The next step after assembling the mould stations to the strongback is to build the stems at the bow and stern. Following the rough plans of a Simple Steam Box from the website: http://americanwoodworker.com, I was able to build a steam box so I could bend the white oak for the stems. Having cut the plank of white oak into 16 1/4" x 3/4" strips the day before, I was then able to steam the stems to be able to bend around the stern and the bow. As Ted Moores in Canoecraft says, "The stems... are a vital link in the skeleton of a canoe. Inside stems support the ends of the strips, improving control during planking. Outside stems originally sealed the exposed end-grain of cedar planking." Building the steam box took a lot longer than I expected but I considered it to be a better option than the wood steaming in a cardboard tube. Once the strips of white oak were clamped into place, they have to dry for 24 hours on the form and 24 hours off, until they can be epoxied together. I don't think I will be able to work tonight but I will start ripping the cedar boards and coving and beading their edges...




No comments:

Post a Comment