Saturday, January 26, 2013

Building the Mould Part 2


 As I continue to work on the mould, the shape of the canoe begins to take shape... (or at this point, at least in my mind) Ever since the last post, I purchased two 4 x 8 sheets of plywood from Lowes and some Adhesive Spray from Hobby Lobby. As you can see in the pictures at right, the plywood is clamped down at several stations making sure that the stations will not move when screwed together. However, before each station is screwed together, each paper station is sprayed down to the plywood to ensure that the form does not "slip off" and I figure it to be more accurate to have the original paper shapes attached rather than cutting from traced lines. I could be wrong, since I am not following a "cookie-cutter" step by step directions, but in my opinion I thought it to be a vary viable solution. As David Hazen in The Stripper's Guide to Canoe-Building states about his informative book about Cedar Strip Canoes, "This book is about achieving a certain technical result, and I know that if you pay attention to the result and ignore the awareness of how you are doing it - the awareness of your feelings, attitudes, sensations, and memories - the result will be sterile." So when following along on the process, it is not only acceptable but also suggested, to blaze your own path to making Cedar Strip Canoes. Ted Moore's in Canoecraft and many other builders draws their plans onto carbon paper, but I am using brown paper from a Kraft Paper Roll. The bottom line is it is alright to be different and experiment a bit in your building of your Cedar Strip Canoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment